International Travel Safety Policy
Policy Number: GE-2400-001
Policy Title: International Travel Safety Policy (view the full policy)
Vice Chancellor/Associate Chancellor: Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Unit Responsible for Policy: Office of the Vice Provost for Global Engagement
Effective Date: April 1, 2018
Contacts: Vice Provost for Global Engagement
Policy Statement: This international safety and travel policy governs all University Sponsored International Travel at UIC by UIC faculty members, staff and students. Its purpose is to ensure faculty, staff and students have essential information to make informed and safe decisions about International Travel. In addition, this policy requires that the relevant departments or units approve all students before they embark on International Travel, including travel to any countries with a Travel Warning. Students are not allowed to travel to countries for which an Evacuation order has been issued by the U.S. Department of State.
All UIC students who travel abroad must enroll in a UIC travel roster and obtain the University of Illinois System’s comprehensive insurance plan. All faculty and staff are encouraged to enroll in the portal and to obtain the same insurance policy or one that has the same or higher levels of coverage. All faculty or staff traveling with UIC students must enroll in the University’s International Travel Safety portal and the System’s comprehensive insurance plan.
This policy does not cover faculty, staff or students’ personal travel that is unrelated to work or academic duties at UIC.
Reason for Policy: UIC serves our students and the community through its global engagement (research, teaching and service) and, consequently, International Travel is vital to the University’s mission. UIC seeks to support these activities by providing travel information and access to comprehensive insurance for students, faculty and staff who travel internationally as part of academic activities (independent study, research, internships, practica, residencies, etc.) or as part of non-academic but UIC-approved or supported activities (service learning, co-curricular programs, student organizations, volunteering, etc.).
This policy will also ensure that
- All students have the required approvals before embarking on UIC-related International Travel.
- Faculty, staff and students on UIC International Travel have essential information from reliable sources in order to make informed and safe decisions about their travel.
By these means, UIC will provide support to members of the UIC community and mitigate the risk and liability related to International Travel.
Minority Impact Statement: This policy does not have any disproportionate or unique impact on UIC’s minority students, staff, or faculty.
Who Should Read the Policy: All UIC faculty, staff and students at the Chicago campus and its regional or other sites (including but not limited to all UI Health sites).
- Evacuations are ordered by the U.S. Department of State when conditions in a city, region or country are considered serious enough to warrant immediate departure of U.S. government employees or citizens.
- International Travel is any travel outside the fifty states of the United States of America and its territories, such as Puerto Rico and Guam.
- System: Refers to University of Illinois System.
- Travel Warnings may include
- Travel Alerts, issued by the U.S. Department of State for “short-term events” which the department suggests, “you should know about when planning travel to a country.”
- Travel Warnings, issued by the U.S. Department of State when the department wants travelers “to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all.”
- Travel Warnings (Level 3), issued by the Centers for Disease Control advise travelers to “Avoid Nonessential Travel” to that location.
- University: Refers to UIC.
- University Sponsored Travel: Students participate in University-sponsored travel whenever they are in an UIC-authorized program related to their academic program, including fieldwork or research, or are involved in a non-academic, but UIC-approved and supported student organization or activity. Whenever travel is funded in full or part by UIC or UIC-managed funds, it is UIC-authorized travel. UIC-authorized programs include but are not limited to study abroad, exchange, internship, service learning, practica, residencies, independent study or research, registered student groups, alternative spring break and other similar programs. A UIC faculty or staff member is participating in University travel whenever he or she is traveling on official UIC business or is funded or reimbursed by or through UIC for that travel.
Procedures: Coming soon.
Related Laws, Regulations, Statutes, and Policies:
- UIC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research Compliance
- University of Illinois System Office of Business and Financial Services
Relevant regulations include, but are not limited to
- U.S. Export Controls
- Fly America Act (when funding is from the U.S. federal government)
- U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control
Document History: This is a new policy and does not replace or revise any existing policy since no international travel policy exists at UIC.