Nondiscrimination Policy Statement
Policy Number: OAE-1100-004
Policy Title: Nondiscrimination Policy Statement
Vice Chancellor/Associate Chancellor: Office of the Chancellor
Unit Responsible for Policy: Office for Access and Equity
Effective Date: March 9, 2017
Contacts: Associate Chancellor, Office for Access and Equity
Policy Statement: The commitment of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) to the most fundamental principles of academic freedom, equality of opportunity, and human dignity requires that decisions involving students and employees be based on individual merit and be free from invidious discrimination in all its forms.
UIC will not engage in discrimination or harassment against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, genetic information, marital status, disability, sexual orientation including gender identity, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a protected veteran and will comply with all federal and state nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action laws, orders and regulations. This nondiscrimination policy applies to admissions, employment, access to and treatment in the University’s programs and activities.
University complaint and grievance procedures provide employees and students with the means for the resolution of complaints that allege a violation of this statement. UIC’s Office for Access and Equity is the office charged with reviewing and addressing complaints of harassment and/or discrimination.
Reason for Policy: To ensure that UIC is compliant with federal and state laws related to discrimination and harassment.
Minority Impact Statement: The policy does not have any disproportionate or unique impact on UIC’s minority students, staff, or faculty.
Who Should Read the Policy: All students, faculty, and staff at UIC.
- University: Refers to UIC.
- Learn more about reporting discrimination and harassment.
- View the UIC Campus Grievance Procedures.
- View the Accommodation Request Form
Related Laws, Regulations, Statutes, and Policies:
- Illinois Human Rights Act (775 ILCS 5/ et seq.);
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended;
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA);
- Title II of the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the American with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 (ADA);
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA);
- Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972.
- Chancellor’s Reaffirmation of Equal Employment Opportunity
- Statement of Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct November, 2012
- UIC Employment Accommodation Policy
- UIC Student Disciplinary Policy
Approved by: Committee on Policy
Approval date: March 9, 2017
Approved as: Updated policy (Updates University of Illinois Nondiscrimination Statement, Revised June 10 2010)