Tuition Waiver for Children of University of Illinois Employees
Policy Number: HR-4105-003
Policy Title: Tuition Waiver for Children of University of Illinois Employees
Vice Chancellor/Associate Chancellor: Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services
Unit Responsible for Policy: UIC Human Resources
Effective Date: March 9, 2017
Contact: Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources
Policy Statement: A 50% tuition waiver (not fees) for up to four years of waivers (each year consists of two semesters and one summer session) is provided to University employees for their dependent children for undergraduate education only. This waiver excludes extramural and correspondence courses. The waiver applies only as long as the student maintains satisfactory academic progress in a degree-seeking program offered by the University. The waiver is applicable at any campus under the Illinois senior public university governing boards to which the child has been admitted under the same requirements, standards, and policies applicable to general admissions. This includes the University of Illinois, Southern Illinois University, Chicago State University, Eastern Illinois University, Governors State University, Illinois State University, Northeastern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, and Western Illinois University.
1. Child Eligibility. To be eligible, a dependent child must:
- be under 25 years of age at the beginning of any academic year (defined as the first day of instruction) in which the waiver will be effective; and
- be the child of the eligible employee or her/his spouse, when the child is either the natural child, adopted child, or under the court-appointed guardianship of the eligible employee or her/his spouse (only if the natural parents are deceased or have been declared unfit by court action).
- maintain satisfactory academic progress in a degree-seeking program.
2. Employee Eligibility. To be eligible, an employee must:
- be a current University of Illinois employee at 50% time or more, eligible for employer-provided benefits, and in active status as of the first day of the academic term for which the waiver is being requested (changes in status after the first day will only affect future academic terms); or
- be a current University of Illinois College of Medicine faculty member who is funded at one percent or greater FTE by the University of Illinois who, in conjunction with a joint appointment at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, serves a total of 50% or greater combined FTE, and
- who has completed at least 50% or greater employment, over a minimum of seven academic years, at one or more of the Illinois senior public universities in a capacity that is eligible for participation in the State Universities Retirement System. The seven years do not have to be consecutive. (This extension of eligibility criteria applies only to use of the waiver at one of the University of Illinois campuses and does not extend to other State of Illinois colleges or universities.)
Reasons for Policy: To communicate the availability of tuition waiver benefits for the children of UIC employees, to define the criteria determining eligibility of children of UIC employees for participation in the tuition waiver benefit, and to clarify UIC policy relating to waiver requirements and limitations.
Minority Impact Statement: The policy does not have a disproportionate or unique effect on UIC’s minority students, faculty, or staff.
Who Should Read the Policy: Eligible UIC employees and their eligible children.
- University: Refers to UIC.
Procedures: View UIC HR procedures.
Forms: View UIC HR forms.
Related Laws, Regulations, Statutes, and Policies: Public Act 90-0282
Document History: Updated version of UIC HR #506-03, effective 4/1/1997; revised 09/01/2013.
Approved by: Committee on Policy
Approval date: March 9, 2017
Approved as: Updated Policy (supersedes Policy UIC HR #506-03)